Spring is very busy time. Lots of thing should be done in the garden: cleaning, pruning, sowing. But did you ever wonder how to figure out when is the best time to plant? A planting guide is estimated from old calendars and is not that accurate. Are there are better ways to figure out the dates?
Yes there is! You start by just taking a look around. Trees in the nearby woods feel the seasons change and will show it to you. Different types of trees have different root systems, some trees have shallow roots, but others like oak have very deep roots. The structure of the root systems bring about the opening of their buds. Trees with shallow roots show leaves earlier as soon as the ground warms up a little, on the other hand oaks are the last to open the buds. That means, you can figure out more accurately the day of planting in your area. So, what are the main milestones? Here is my personal guide to get you started!
- Willows blooming mean it's time to plant radishes and carrots
- Cherries booming signal the time to plant dill
- Lilacs in full bloom show it's time to plant vegetables and decorative plants, and transplant from indoors to outdoors.
- Birches open their buds when the ground warms up to the 2 inch depth & when birches start blooming, that means the ground has warmed up to the 4 inch depth
- Apple trees start blooming reveals it's time to plant gladiolus, beets, evergreens and cabbage
- Almonds start blooming announces that it is time to plant potatoes
Don't forget to take a look at the trees around you. They sense the ground temperatures and indicate when to plant!
One more thing, if your skin is as dry as mine, then, after digging, you should condition it right away. Our Liquid Skin Salve for Gardeners is made for revitalizing heavily abused skin, I am confident in it, because I use it every time I wash dirt off my hands. All of us, gardeners to outdoor workers, farmers to landscapers, could benefit! Try our Liquid Skin Salve for Gardeners today!
Here is a little more about our Liquid Skin Salve for Gardeners! It has the gentle yet powerful nutrients of calendula, rose hips, vitamins and minerals help to revive damaged skin while providing moisture and nourishment where you need it most. It's lightly scented with fresh green notes of sweet basil and green ivy that both men and women can enjoy.
In the next blog we will tell you, how Moon influences the plant growth.